Some people love them and there is even a major tiny home movement that is becoming all the rage! In fact, we love watching episodes of Tiny Luxury and other Tiny Home shows.
However, there are also many home shows that feature couples viewing 2,000 square foot homes and referring to them as “small”.
It really depends on the person, I suppose, and probably a lot on what they are accustomed to.
So, what do I LOVE about living in a small space? Yes, I said “love”. Not tolerate. Not appreciate. LOVE.
Of course there are challenges and things that I really don’t enjoy, but I am going to focus on the benefits!
- Easy access: It is usually fairly quick and simple to find anything I need. I don’t have to go far or reach far for much!
- Child safety: There are no stairs, and minimal rooms my children can be in. They are never far from me and thus we have avoided many of those issues where a child has sneakily destroyed some part of the home! Ha!
- Cleaning: I already feel that housework is difficult to keep up with, so I can only imagine how this would be magnified in a larger home. My cleaning responsibilities are much smaller, which frees me up to do other tasks.
- Freedom: Similar to the child safety benefits, I can give my children freedom when they play. I can hear them from any room in the house. Now that my older two are almost 5 and 3, I can send them in the yard and hear them from the kitchen/see them from the family room. Thus, they can play freely, while I tidy up inside or sit on the couch to to my Bible study.
- Organization: You would maybe think this would be a difficulty rather than something I love, but being in a small space has forced us to analyze everything we have and how we store everything we have. The extreme organization has freed up a lot of time and removed a lot of stress from our lives.
- More outdoor time: Because the space is small, we take full advantage of our yard, which is a wonderful size. We eat outside when the weather is nice. We have outdoor pets instead of indoor ones. We keep a small garden. We have many outdoor activities for the kids: bikes, mud kitchen, sand box, rock wall (to be installed), playhouse, etc.
- Tight Knit family: We are always together. We can not escape one another, ha ha! This is one of the reasons why, if we are able to move someday, I do not want an overly large home. I love that we can be in the same space and be close to each other, even when we are doing different activities!